Monday 27 May 2013

What was I Thinking?

Well, this is it folks. I've gone and done it. Actually, that should read: I've gone and run it. 

Please try not to fall over in surprise. 

I am not a runner. In fact I am the opposite of a runner (if there is such a thing). Last dabbling in thrusting my legs quickly at school, I haven't run in years. 

I have the body of an apple. Quite a few apples, really. OK. A barrel of apples. And I have the fitness levels of a slug. A slow one. So the concept of me taking up running is, quite simply, preposterous. 

It's impossible. No way, Jose. 

So what was I thinking when I headed down to Run 4 It in Bridge of Allan yesterday to buy running shoes?

Well, inspired, mainly. For around 6 months now I've had the privilege of running (no pun) the social media for Run 4 It and interacting with thousands of normal, every day runners on a daily basis. They made me believe that it was possible. 

Not the Olympics. Not the Commonwealth Games. Not my PE teacher at school. Certainly not my PE teacher at school. But several thousand normal folk who are passionate about the sport. And, what's more, many many of them used to be like me: a variation on the barrel of apples. 

And so here I am, back from my first "run" - fairly proud, luckily not dead, and facing down the fact that I have just done something I thought was impossible. 

So join me on this journey. I'm going to run. If today was anything to go by it's going to be fun (sort of) and probably stacked full of belly laughs, particularly for those who see me trying. 

So let's get started....

No comments:

Post a Comment